A new white board

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When I think of a typical school room, I think of a big white board. How big of a white board do I really need for a homeschool classroom? Well, recently a dear friend of mine gifted me with a white board. It is a decent size white board, maybe 3 feet by 2 feet? It quickly filled up and is now our family message board in the upstairs hallway. So my hubby took me to Lowe's where we found a humongous white board. No joke, it is 8 feet by 4 feet. Hmmm... I think this will do just fine :) It is also known as flat tile board and runs around $10 for an 8'x4' piece. If you don't have a wall big enough for an 8' long whiteboard, the helpful employees at Lowe's can cut it for you! Just think, you could make whiteboard table tops for your class! 

Ok, so here is how we installed our whiteboard:

We purchased an 8'x4' piece of plywood (this was about $15) and applied a layer of liquid nails. The plywood is to keep the whiteboard from warping or curving. If your wall isn't 100% flat and square, your whiteboard will show it. 
 

Next we carefully lined up the white board on top and gently pushed it on. Next we flipped the whiteboard/plywood over and put some heavy objects on it to weigh it down so the whiteboard would adhere to the plywood.

 

We put the whiteboard facing down so that we wouldn't scratch the surface....I guess we also could have put a blanket on it....buuuut we didn't think of that at the time. 

Once the whiteboard and plywood were one piece. We held up our board against our wall so we could see how it would look. We also marked out the studs where we were going to be screwing into. NOTE: This is heavy and I would recommend screwing it into studs in your wall. 

(I apologize for the horrible lighting)

Next my hubby pre-drilled some holes, always a good idea. He held the board up to the wall in the right spot and I screwed it in. It honestly was that simple.


My hubby started adding some trim around the board to cover the screw holes. But here it is so far! And yes, it really works! Even the red EXPO dry erase marker comes off easily. Who knew that a huge whiteboard could be so cheap?! I just love projects like this. 

With Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment